During our pre-production stage, the team has been discussing multiple avenues we can take when it comes to visuals and lighting. Blues, reds, darks, lights... it has been a long journey of research and contemplation. Today we hired out a bunch of gear and decided we would lock-in our colour schemes for each of the male participants, along with lighting and camera angles we will require on the day of the shoot.
SAE has some really cool gear that we have access to which we decided to take advantage of to test our demonstration visuals. Thankfully, we have an amazing film student, Bunitj, to help us with everything film related along the way. We set up some of the lights so that they would specifically represent certain emotions in contrast with the colours, such as a high-standing light with a deep red glow showed a lot of frustration and anger a subject's face. This lead us into shadow territory, as we began moving the lights slightly to place the shadow across the subjects faces for variations of mood.
A few test shots later, the crew was beginning to find the perfect lighting positions to produce the most effective colouration within the room. Since we have decided to film each male participant using a single shot. This proved challenging when we needed to change colours during the shot as we were using gel covers over the lights, therefore, we needed an alternative solution. Enter, the dolly.
After trial and error, we landed on a great technique that allowed us to change the lighting during a single shot while not having to physically change the lights at all. We set up two lights with fan separation between them, allowing a perfect crossover of coloration. We placed a plastic chair on the dolly and aligned it with the camera and lights. This technique allowed us to push the subject sitting on the dolly toward the camera, passing through the first red light and past the fan separator, into the blue light that was positioned on the opposite side. This added yet another layer of emotion by moving the subject closer to the camera.
It took quite a bit of trial and error, although, in the end, we were very happy with the outcome and this gave us great insight into how we are going to be setting up our lighting for the final shoots. These shoots will take place over three days in the next two weeks and will conclude our milestone of filming our visuals. Then editing and contrasting and lots of post production...
Here is a quick grab of our visual and lighting demonstration, along with some contrast work done to see how it will work in post-production: